Seriously, how did we not know about coconut oil sooner? How can a common, easily accessible substance have SO many benefits?! It’s anti-fungal, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties could leave me typing for days. So today I’m focusing on the non-consumption ways that I use coconut oil on a daily basis…and you can too!
- Deep Conditioning Hair Mask: melt coconut oil in the microwave or your hands, and coat the bottom half of your hair, focusing especially on the ends. Pull hair up in a bun and leave on for several hours before rinsing out thoroughly (or sleep with a shower cap or old t-shirt around your head)
- Cellulite Cream: When used consistently on skin, it can help reduce cellulite. Throw some grapefruit essential oil in there, and it’s gold! (Grapefruit EO has certain compounds that help with the drainage of your lymphatic glands which cause cellulite when not working properly)
- Eye makeup remover – why not moisturize those lovely eyes while you’re at it
- Homemade lip scrub: especially with the winter months approaching, sometimes the chapstick is not enough! Combine melted coconut oil, sugar, and honey for a natural — and delicious — lip scrub
- Mix into dog food for dry, itchy skin
- Remove stains: combine equal parts coconut oil and baking soda, mix into a paste, leave on the stain for 5 minutes, then wipe away
- Natural shaving cream
- Natural body lotion
- As a carrier oil for applying any essential oil topically. Duh!
Needless to say, if you don’t have some coconut oil laying around the house, you’re missing out!